“The course of true love never did run smooth.”
( William Shakespeare, 1564-1616 )
As Chuck Palahniuk once said, “It’s so hard to forget pain, but it’s even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace.”
It is time to break that pattern, it is time to get free from its chains. Try focusing on the sweet side to ease the pain.
1. Talk about your marriage. This seems like an obvious tip on how to make a relationship last, but it’s surprisingly difficult to talk about your relationship! Talking about your relationship can make it better – even if you don’t solve your problems immediately. Just talking about your marriage brings you closer together. Or, it can help you realize that you may not want to save your marriage after all.
2. Recognize when you’re pulling away emotionally and physically. Recognize when you’re pulling away and do the exact opposite. So, instead of retreating to your shell, tell your partner why you’re retreating. No blame or guilt trips: just honesty.
3. Be honest with your partner about how to make your relationship last. Decide together if marriage counseling will help your relationship last a long time. Couples therapy is an effective way of building better relationships if both partners are committed. One partner can’t save a marriage alone. When you’re in the thick of things, you can’t see if you or your partner is being unreasonable (usually, it’s a little of both). An objective third party — a marriage or couples counselor — can help you make your marriage work by bridging communication gaps and helping you see your marriage clearly.
4. Figure out what you need from your relationship. To build a better marriage, each partner needs to be clear about their hopes and expectations.
5. Decide what you can give to your relationship. Perhaps the best tip on making a relationship last is about what you can give to your marriage (not necessarily what you can get). A secret of happy couples is to be clear about your needs, but it’s equally or perhaps more important to figure out where you’re dropping the ball. How can you build a better marriage by improving yourself?
6. Learn how to argue in healthy ways. Building a better relationship with your spouse means you need to stop blaming, criticizing, or belittling your partner. Regardless of how your husband or wife treats you, you need to communicate with love and respect. You can’t change your partner, but you can change how you respond to her or him. As Ann Landers once said, “All married couples should learn the art of battle as they should learn the art of making love. Good battle is objective and honest. Good arguments are healthy and constructive, and brings to a marriage the principle of equal partnership.”
And no matter how angry we are, lets never stop being caring.
From Funi Pics
Lets leave all the grudges in the old 2013 year and commit to making the New Year sweeter than the past.
Have a peaceful and happy New Year. 🙂
From Images List
- Marriage is a relationship in which…
- Responsible Parenting: Happy Parents = Happy Children
- Mythbusting marriage and romance
- The most romantic love story…
- The course of true love never did run smooth…
- Cracking the Communication Code Between Men And Women
- Developing Emotional Sensitivity